Posting a WIP so people can see how terrifyingly bad my stuff sometimes starts out looking. I almost let myself fix some anatomy and composition even before I posted this. Almost.
Right, so! Jack from Bioshock, freaking FINALLY. I’ve been needing to draw this kid for aaages, and have had this commission backburnered forever, because while I’ve been a Bioshock fan for years and know a lot of lore, I haven’t actually played it, on account of being so bad at video games that I can’t even walk and see at the same time, much less keep myself alive or try to whack other things. I am absolutely not kidding even a tiny bit.
So I was feeling stuck. So I watched a playthrough. And now I finally understand SO MUCH MORE, and wow all the feels, and yeah.
Okay, so: some things about these sketches, and other plans for stuff not actually in them yet:
- the lower sketch is a rough mockup of the frame I plan to contain the picture in (similar to the pictures of Mark Meltzer and Andrew Ryan); the text in my messy scrawl is ‘They told me, ‘Son, you were born to do great things,’ with the rest, ‘And you know what? They were right’ inside the image itself. I really like text and quotes, guys. There will be text all through this dang thing.
- The upper sketch is a little more detail, minus the fancy frame: our boy Jack is crouched with his back to a pillar (which will be moved away from center when I clean this up because wow bad composition), or it might be some other sheltery thing in the final version; point is, you pretty much crouch and duck behind things for the ENTIRE GAME. So it feels appropriate.
- he has the wrench in one hand (I know I put it in the wrong hand guys, it’ll be fixed don’t worry) and a radio or audio diary (commissioner’s preference which one and which quote) in the other, which there’ll be text floating up from
- he’ll have other stuff slung on him: camera, guns, other weapons and ammo, again depending on commissioner’s preferences. Because come on it’ll be hilarious, where the heck DOES any video game protag put all their weapons and items anyway
- background will be Fort Frolic-style stuff with neon and such, since the commissioner is fond of the Cohen section
- speaking of Cohen, maybe more quotes? Rabbit ear motifs? Moths??
- also a Big Daddy and Little Sister peacefully going by, the glow of the helmet lights half-seen around the corner through a window or something
- AND YET MORE STUFF. Rapture is just such an awesome environment, I really want to do it proper justice. Lots of grime and weathering and details and oh god this picture is gonna kill me
- also have I mentioned it will be watercolor, help I am possibly actually crazy
SO THERE YOU HAVE IT. Fellow Bioshock fans, please feel free (no really, please, I will take all the help I can get) to chime in with other input or ideas you can think of???